Sometimes there is a clear path we march along, our heads held high, our goal in sight. But more often we are led down the abstract way where the twists and turns are so jagged that we can't see our way forward. We keep moving along because we have no choice…that is what life asks of us.

As we take each step our journey is fueled by the hope that the answers we seek are up ahead…just around the bend of the abstract way.

Chapter 34-Santa Fe, Edward's Room


My roommate, Michelle, hasn't arrived yet, so after Edward checks in he offers me his room to rest in before dinner while he goes to meet with a local gallery owner. His room is on the far edge of the property and has a balcony overlooking a creek surrounded by fields and trees. There is a gas kiva fireplace in the corner of the room, and I turn it on then curl up in the big chair that faces it with my book. Between adjusting to the high altitude, the fresh air and the cozy fire, I am sound asleep within minutes.